Apply for care

We know how much it counts to feel heard and informed when beginning to research residential aged care. We understand that searching for the right aged care provider can be difficult and stressful. This four-step guide simplifies the process.

If you need any assistance, please contact our helpful Admissions Team at any time.

There are four easy steps to apply for care with The Good Shepherd Home:

Organise an ACAT Assessment

  • An Aged Care Assessment is required when applying to enter an aged care facility. This gives you and the aged care provider an understanding of the type of care you are eligible to receive.
  • The Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) can be contacted directly or through your doctor, hospital and social worker. Townsville ACAT can be contacted on (07) 4433 8300.

Organise an Income and Assets Assessment

  • A Combined Income and Assets Assessment is conducted by the Department of Human Services Australia (Centrelink) or Department of Veterans’ Affairs. This assessment will determine the cost of your care and accommodation fees.
  • Download the assessment forms (SA457 – Cost of Care, SA485 – Property Details). You can also use the My Aged Care Residential Care Fee Estimator tool to help calculate expected fees and charges.

Complete The Good Shepherd Home Care Application Form

  • Complete The Good Shepherd Home (TGSH) Care Application form to apply for permanent or respite care with us. It is to be completed with the details of the individual requiring admission.
  • The TGSH form is an internal document that will not be shared with other agencies. However, additional information may be requested.
  • Download the application form here. This needs to be filled out and submitted (with attachments) either by email or printed and provided by post or in person. You must save the form to retain data entered.

Submit The Good Shepherd Home Care Application Form

When you are ready to submit your completed TGSH Care Application Form, please ensure you have read the check list on the front cover.

You may submit your form:

If you need any assistance our helpful team can be reached by calling (07) 4772 9900 or emailing 


You should also be
aware of legal issues for
residents living in aged care
facilities including: Power of
Attorney, Advanced Health
Directive or Statement of Choice
A or B. For more information,
visit the My Aged Care
website or call
1800 200 422.